Friday, July 16, 2010

fate










the night

has

passed..

the dawn

has come..

the dawn

has passed..

the night

has come

with the night

my father

arrives..

as my mother

is about

to light

the evening lamp..































vela didn’t

turn

up for

work..

my father

speaks

as he enters

the door..

father appears..

a shade

darker

today..

maybe

i wonder

he played

in the sun..





































from my

cloth swing..

i can see

mother turn..

and address

him..

what happened..

is he

unwell

..?

does he need

any

medicine

..?

































no..

nothing

of the sort..

i see

my father

sink

into

grandpa’s long

armchair..

the things..

abundance

brings..

i hear

him shrug









































quietly

mother

heads to me..

i can see

my evening feed

in her hand..

a glowing

yellow

fruit


































did you

check

on him

..?

is he

fine

..?

she whispers

her attention

focussed

on feeding

me

the mashed

fruit..








































oh yes..

i did..

father answers..

his house

is empty..

he disappeared

with everything..












































at this..

my mother

looks up..

turning

toward

him..

they left?

she asks

in wonder..






































yes..

says father..

abundance..

he shrugs..

he took

everything

with him..

father leans

his head

on the tall

backrest..

everything..

he whispers

again..

as if

to himself








































well..

i hear

mother speak..

after

the long spell

of silence..

she tries

to ask..

cradling gently

my hand

in hers..

did he..

did he..

she stammers..

did he

leave..

anything

behind

..?









































everything

he took

with him..

i hear

father repeat..

as he turns

to

stare

at me

his dark eyes

strangely..

full..

and empty

..

..

he only

left behind

all the

bags..

of

rice














No comments: